We were happy to be able to host my cousin and her boyfriend during their Spring Break holiday. I went to pick them up at Heathrow and bring them back via the Tube. They were naturals! Their very first night, we all went to the place our friend Marianne works at. I feel like this place has become our own “Cheers!” Everyone there has been very welcoming with Matt and I and they showed no difference with Em and Walt. I’d say they were off to a good start!
They spent a good amount of time on their own in the mornings, even seeing a few shows at night. I had fun taking them around Westminster and introducing them to meat pies and minty mushy peas. Matt and I joined them for the IMAX film Hubble 3D and an afternoon at the Science Museum. Em and Walt actually decided to go back for another ½ day of walking through the museum since it was so big. They have nearly everything you could think of regarding inventions and the evolution of science: airplanes, steam engines, looms, lock and keys, even household equipment. The IMAX film was excellent; an amazing view into the experience of those astronauts assigned to the last Hubble telescope repair mission. The pictures they were able to capture are breathtaking! I highly recommend it!
We also had a nice, typically blighty-with-intermittent-sun day at Hampton Court Palace. We toured rooms depicting the life and times of Henry VIII, as well as William and Mary and George II. Matt and I had purchased a Historic Royal Palaces membership so we were able to get into the “members only” lounge. It is a converted apartment there and perfect for escaping the school children whilst having a nice cup of tea (or coffee). The Palace itself was beautiful, having primarily been built by Cardinal Wolsey, Henry VIII’s Lord Chancellor. He was very powerful in both the Church and State. After Henry had him put to death for treason (go figure), Henry took the house as his own. He had once even declared it his favourite home. Interesting. What is also interesting about this palace is that it contains a hedge maze, which remains from the 1600s rule of William III. During our tour there, actors would intermittently act out short skits depicting what Henry VIII may have done on his wedding day to his last wife, Catherine Parr. This seemed most fun and educational for the school children in attendance that day. We just got a kick out of the costumes and the actors’ enthusiasm. Brave is the man who plays the role of Henry VIII.
Our last night together was spent eating dinner while watching Lady Gaga videos, thanks to Emily. Of course, we also had a short Boggle tournament. It is my personal opinion that no trip is complete without Boggle. Don’t you agree?
Matt and I really enjoyed having Em and Walt with us! I just hope they had a good time and were able to see everything they wanted! :)
For pictures from their trip, click here.
For more information on the following, click on them:
IMAX Hubble 3D
Hampton Court Palace
Cardinal Wolsey
Wednesday, 31 March 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment