Wednesday, 17 March 2010

Saint Patrick's Day

I was already working in SoHo that day so Beckie and I weren’t sure how we would manage to meet up for a little celebration. There didn’t seem to be too much activity to announce this was a holiday besides some pubs placing green balloons and Irish flags outside. In the afternoon, as I walked through SoHo, I passed by a few Irish pubs that were certainly getting ready for the day’s activities. In fact, some of them were already full and had lines outside; one of the people waiting had his hair shaved into a shamrock. Overall, it seemed like another day. When I got off work though the atmosphere had changed-the streets were fairly full of people and pubs were dolling out the Guinness. Down the street from our flat Beckie was already hanging out at the pub that served Thai food so I decided to join her there. Walking back to the Tube revealed the majority of the pubs were overflowing and that Guinness would not let this day go unadvertised. Back at the Thai pub-we ate but decided to go back to the city to soak in whatever mayhem might be going on. Not before however bar staff asked Beckie if she wanted a Guinness hat, I promptly said “yes.” We arrived back in the city and made the choice to trek around Covent Garden and Leicester Square. We tried to get into a traditional Irish pub near Covent Garden but it was overflowing onto the small cobbled street it was wedged in. Not to fear though, there was another pub around the corner, The Salisbury. It wasn’t too busy so we made our way inside for an obligatory pint. I think the pictures explain how it was, and it wasn’t TOO busy. We spent the following hour walking around the Covent Garden-Leicester Square area avoiding stumbling drunks, broken glasses and the overwhelmed tourist. I think we’re one step above tourists at this point; that step isn’t very large. The Tube platform was fairly busy with revelers who were all in friendly spritely moods. Except for the one dude sitting on a bench and cradling his head between his knees…he then spectacular chunks right as were stepping onto the train.

No comments:

Post a Comment