Saturday, 9 April 2011

And a walk through Kent

This time we took the train down to Royal Tunbridge Wells, beginning our day by wandering around the farmer's market and taking in the sights, smells, savories and sweets. After enjoying a lamb burger with a bit of mint jelly and purusing the Pantilles, we started off on our walk through the Kentish countryside. We have always felt the best way to experience the UK is via walking.

It was a cool, but comfortable day and the rain held off until the end. We stopped twice for a pub break and swift half. The first was by chance. We thought we were faithfully following our ordinance map and came to the Hare and Hounds in Bidborough. After a nice sit, we started off quickly realising that we were a bit off our specified trail. A little wandering and winding around later and we were back on track.

About halfway through the hike, I realised with full understanding that I had chosen to wear the wrong pair of shoes (and no, of course I didn't wear heels). By the end of the trip, I was feeling entirely crippled. Lesson learned. About 6 hours from the start of our journey and a short visit to the town castle, we found our way onto the high street of Tonbridge. Unfortunately, we had to settle for Thai food rather than pub since no one was serving by that time.

It was a bite to eat, some time to rest our feet, and a welcome respite from the wind. Unfortunately, they didn't have a good drink menu and with the state of my feet, I could have used it. Nevermind, it was back on the train and home again as fast as we could. Enjoyable as it was, it's a good thing it was Saturday because I couldn't even stand on my poor feet the next day. Shame, but still worth the sights and experience.

Kent Walk

No comments:

Post a Comment