Saturday, 12 June 2010

Trooping the Colour

I am a fan of Queen Elizabeth II. Most people who know me, know this fact. Given that, it should not be surprising that I would get up at 6.30am on a Saturday to travel down to Buckingham Palace, stake out my optimum vantage point, and spend 4 hours standing in one spot to #1. watch the Queen and some of the Royal family in a parade to Whitehall, #2. watch them come back and Her Majesty's guard salute her as they march back to the Wellington baracks, #3. enjoy the RAF flypast. One thought to sum up the entire experience: No one does pomp and circumstance like the English. No one.


The trooping the colour is a military ceremony dating back to the early eighteenth century when the colours (flags) of the battalion were carried (trooped) down the ranks so they could be seen and recognised by the soldiers. Since 1748, this parade has also marked the Sovereign's offical birthday. From the reign of Edward VII onwards, the Sovereign has taken the salute in person at the Trooping of the Colour. During the ceremony, the Queen is greeted by a royal salute and carries out an inspection of the troops (active military personnel). The official salute and trooping takes place at the Horse Guards Parade (Whitehall - near Westminster). I wasn't down there to see all of this. I opted to take a position at Buckingham Palace (the beginning and end of the parade route) in order to see the Royal family during the flypast. Next year, Whitehall.


Since Matt was in Cornwall, I went this one alone... and ended up speaking with some very interesting older ladies; one from Austrailia and a pair of old friends from Wales. Both conversations were interesting in different ways. One of the experiences I've enjoyed most here is having the opportunity to hear the stories of so many different people. For instance, the one woman from Wales and her friend described their journeys from Wales & Ireland to South Africa (for 30 years) and back to Birmingham. Fascinating.


All in all, it was a nice day out. And of course, I was able to see the Queen and wish her a happy birthday... even if she couldn't hear me. My only disappointment: no Prince Harry eye-candy. What? I have a soft-spot for ginger nuts.


For photos, click here.

For more info on the Trooping of the Colour, click here.

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures and story! You had a really great spot (although I guess arriving four hour early will assure you that!). I prefer Wills myself, so appreciate those eye-candy pictures.

    I am loving this blog and can't wait to come visit and have some adventures with you guys!

    ReplyDelete